The Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service issued a rule tolling certain timeframes under the Internal Revenue Code and ERISA on April 28, 2020. The extensions apply to group health and welfare plans, and retirement plans. It provides additional time to comply with certain deadlines affecting COBRA continuation coverage and to make claims for benefits and appeal denied claims. The Department of Labor also released EBSA Disaster Relief Notice 2020-1 to provide certain additional guidance and relief for employee benefit plans affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. In order to keep our brokers, customers, and participants informed, we at isolved Benefit Services will continue to provide updates here on how this rule, and any that may follow, could affect employees and employers.
1. Will this extend how long I can keep COBRA (beyond the 18, 29, or 36 months)?
2. Will my grace date be extended and for how long?
3. Can I suspend my coverage without paying since I cannot use it now and then start paying when I can use it again?
4. Will my election period be extended? (Even though it currently is June or July, I have no way to pay)
5. You told me I have a grace period, why is my coverage not active while I am in the grace period?
June 15 - Why are dates extended to 7/27?
June 15 - When do we terminate a participant?
June 15 - Extending Dates on Records
June 15 - Participant never elected why a letter?
June 15 - Carrier Retro terminations
June 15 - Would notices mailed in Nov. & Dec. qualify?
June 15 - What events receive timeframe extension?
June 15 - COVID Letters Mailed
June 15 - Participant Requested Removal
June 19 - New $550 Carryover Rule
June 19 - Will isolved Benefit Services Notify Participants of Timeframe Extensions
June 19 - Participant Questions on Claims
June 19 - How long to allow mid-year election changes?
June 19 - Does isolved Benefit Services need to know about extended grace periods?
June 19 - Does isolved Benefit Services need to know about mid-year election changes?
June 19 - Denied Claims Reprocessing